A Breast Health Navigator is a nursing professional who is specially trained to coordinate the clinical, educational and supportive needs of patients who are either facing a possible breast cancer diagnosis or who have been recently diagnosed with breast cancer.
At St. Joseph's Imaging, Mary Kapfer, ANP-C, CBPN-IC is our Breast Patient Navigator. Mary had 19 years of nursing experience before furthering her education to become a Masters prepared Nurse Practitioner in Adult Health. Ms. Kapfer is certified as a Breast Patient Navigator in Breast Imaging and Cancer by the National Consortium of Breast Centers, Inc.
The Breast Health Navigator's Role includes the following:
- Obtaining a complete breast history and risk assessment
- Providing a clinical breast exam
- Educating patients on benign and malignant breast disease
- Working with providers to facilitate additional diagnostic testing, as required.
- Facilitate communication and coordinate appointments with the other expert
members of The Program including oncologists and surgeons.
- Provides emotional support
If you or someone you love would like to speak with Mary,
she can be reached at (315) 329-7555 ext. 6419.